Cream and cheese. The two basic ingredients for an Alfredo sauce. You apparently can’t go wrong with these. But if you’re looking to be calorie conscious, then you can try using milk. And a plain Alfredo sauce can be a tad boring with a plain pasta. Try some veggies or white meat of your choice. This recipe has mushrooms and spring onions.
Prep time: 45 minutes
Serves: 2 comfortably
- 2 cups pasta or two swirls of fettucine or a handful of spaghetti (I get a spinach spaghetti. The green spaghetti sets off the cream cheese nicely)
- 1 cup fresh cream OR milk
- 4 cubes of regular cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced or diced
- 4-5 stalks of spring onions, chopped fine
- A little crushed pepper
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Salt to taste (the cheese is salty enough)
How to make it:
- Boil the pasta / spaghetti / fettucine according to the instructions on the pack.
- In a non-stick pan, pour in the cream or milk.
- On a low heat, add the grated cheese and stir continuously for about 5-7 minutes or until the cheese melts and you get a smooth mixture. Keep this aside.
- In another pan, add a teaspoon of olive oil and saute the mushrooms. They will shed their water in about 5 minutes and then the liquid will start to dry up.
- Add the spring onions and saute for another couple of minutes.
- Add crushed pepper and a little salt. Let this cool a little and then add it to the cream and cheese sauce. Mix them in gently.
- Place the pasta / spaghetti / fettucine in a large pan or bowl. Pour the mixture on to the pasta and fold.
- Heat it up in the pan or heat the bowl in the microwave.
- Serve hot.